My husband and I see a fair number of movies, whether in theaters or on DVD, and each year before the Academy Awards I like to compare the films I’ve seen to those nominated. It should be just for inspiration, but it’s also a sort of score card to see how cultured I am. Typically I look at 3 categories – Best Picture, Actor in a Leading Role, and Actress in a Leading Role – to make my comparisons and then I create a list of must-rent-films. Here is how we did this year…
Combined List of Films – we saw 4 out of 15 (not so good):
- Albert Nobbs – must rent
- The Artist – must rent
- A Better Life – must rent
- The Descendants – Really Liked it!
- Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close – must rent
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – Saw it (and read it)!
- The Help – must rent (though I am nervous that the movie won’t be as good as the book)
- Hugo – must rent
- The Iron Lady – must rent
- Midnight in Paris – Loved it!
- Moneyball – Really Liked it
- My Week With Marilyn – must rent
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy – My husband must rent… (not sure this is my type of movie)
- The Tree of Life – must rent
- War Horse – Probably won’t rent (I’ll just say…”I’m a major weeper” and I’m not sure I could make it through this film.)
I have to admit that I had never even heard of 4 of these films before the nominations were announced. This list should keep our local RedBox in business for a while (yes, I gave up Netflix a year ago – more on that later).
Oh, and here is what I would be wearing tonight if I had been invited AND if Mila Kunis hadn’t already worn it to last year’s Academy Awards. Absolutely beautiful…